Monday, May 13, 2013

Graduation... a trip down memory lane

I took a trip down memory lane last week, and went to my cousin Lauren's high school graduation party. It took me back to May of 2008 when I was graduating from SACS and moving onto a new chapter of life called college. I can remember being in Lauren's shoes feeling excited, nervous, anxious and emotional all at the same time. I didn't want to leave my high school friends, but yet I so badly wanted to hurry and get to college to make new friends. Looking back on my entire summer before college I can see that I was living for the future and not in the moment. I didn't spend enough time with my family as much as I ought to have, and I spent too much time worrying about what my dorm would look like, if I'd get along with my new roommate, fretting about trying to get the "perfect" schedule, etc.

So Lauren, if I could give you any advice about this season of life I would say enjoy this summer. Don't worry about what is to come, but just enjoy the last few months at home before you move to FL. Take time to be intentional with your parents and sisters, and take advantage of ALL the things and places in San Antonio that you won't be able to Miami. When I moved to Fort Worth I constantly missed being able to go to Sonic Happy Hour, my favorite yoga class, or swimming in my backyard. It's the little things like those that you won't miss until you can't do them anymore!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Braul 

And when you get to college remember these few things: College is about finding the perfect combination of having a lot of fun, but also working hard and doing well in school! Make new friends, but don't forget about the old ones. Call home often, and be sure to tell your parents you love them all the time! And if for some reason Miami doesn't suit you and you think you want to transfer, don't think that you've failed. Transferring doesn't mean failure. Enjoy it all! It goes by too fast. 



















post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Be sure to leave one!